Monday, July 8, 2013

Bolt vs The Coyotes

This morning the roosters didn't crow. ??

I woke up late...wondering why.  When you live out in the country, sound is an important sense.

I heard a chicken make a brief "cluck".. but the guineas weren't squawking.  That was REALLY weird if something was wrong.

They weren't sounds a visitor would even notice.  But it sounded all "wrong" to me...  I didn't listen to my instincts, and sleep won out a little longer.

When I did wake.. it was to find out my dog, Bolt had gone under the gate at Mach 2.  I could barely see where she escaped.  She can morph, the dog is amazing that way.

Something was after her chickens.  There were feathers in the yard... but all the birds were accounted for.

I didn't see it first-hand, but the coyotes were on the other side of the gate.  A pack came right up to the house.  And she took them on at full speed...

She took down the first one, sinking her teeth into its neck, impacting it so hard it caused them to go into a spin.  She held on.  The coyote couldn't get a hold of her. She let it go after stunning it good and went after another one... chasing it across the field, onto the doctors property... and down into the wash.  ALL the coyotes tucked tail and ran.

She wasn't ready to come home.  She refused to come when called. She "secured" all the area she felt necessary...   She had to be leashed to get her back in...

I was so afraid they hurt her... but she only had a scratch from a mesquite tree...  I couldn't believe it.  I knew she was a tough little girl... but to take on an entire pack???  wow.

Yep, she got leftover steak for breakfast.   Good dog...

2 comments:

Bob G. said...

Wrexie:
She's a GOOD girl...!!!
(and earns her grub EVERY day)

Stay safe out there.

Coffeypot said...

Coyotes are not an aggressive breed, even in a pact. They hunt small, defenseless animals like chickens and prairie dogs and Democrats. A strong, aggressive dog like her will chase them off every time.